The Department for Transport (DfT) has published a revised version of its organisation chart reflecting recent changes, including the departure of Gareth Llewelyn as DVSA CEO, and his replacement by Loveday Rider.
In total, the chart details the reporting lines, roles and post-holders’ names for the 278 senior staff in the ministerial department.
The department, supported by 24 agencies and public bodies, employs 18,245 staff and 354 non-payroll staff, who work in locations across the country.
The poster-sized document sets out the structure of the DfT – from its controlling board of 18 people, comprising six politicians, seven senior civil servants, plus five non-executive members.
It sets out the DfT’s six ‘groups’, plus its legal department, giving the posts and names of the relevant civil servants, representing all areas of UK transport policy (except those powers devolved to Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales).
For more details about how transport policy is determined and delivered, please visit our Knowledge Hub page on the subject here
The groups and numbers of senior civil servants detailed on the charts are:
- Roads, Places and Environment Group: 79 managers
- Rail Strategy and Services Group: 41 managers
- Rail Infrastructure Group: 17 managers
- High Speed Rail Group: 18 managers
- Aviation, Maritime, International and Security Group: 50 managers
- Corporate Delivery Group: 42 managers
- Government Legal Department: 13 managers
Further details of the department’s structure and pay grades are listed in a series of documents of organisation structure charts (organograms) and datasets that include:
- Structure of the department/body down to directorate level
- Positions of all senior civil servants (SCS) at pay band 2 and above (or equivalent)
- Names of SCS pay band 2 and above
- Salaries of all pay band 2 and above
- Job titles of SCS pay band 1 and 1A (or equivalent)
- Reporting numbers of staff within directorates (FTE) and total salary costs of SCS1 teams
Organisational data CSV files include:
- SCS staff posts – name, grade, job title, team function, parent department, organisation, unit, contact details, reports, salary cost of reports
Salary disclosure data CSV files include:
- SCS staff salaries – name, grade, job title, FTE, parent department, organisation, unit, actual pay floor, actual pay ceiling
- junior staff FTE – parent department, organisation, unit, reporting SCS, grade, number of posts FTE
All this information can be accessed on the DfT’s website here
Download the main DfT Organisational Chart, below: