A total of 36 people across logistics, roads, rail, bus and maritime have been awarded honours in the Queen’s New Year Honours list, and will travel to London later this year to receive their awards.
They range from bus drivers, to Network Rail employees to those involved in skills for the next generation through the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) schemes that will have a positive impact on UK transport.
Appointees include Stagecoach Manchester bus driver, Cornel Grant, who has been awarded a British Empire Medal (BEM) for his extensive work within the community.
Mark Fowles who was Managing Director at Nottingham City Transport for 20 years until his retirement in April 2021 has been honoured with an Order of the British Empire (OBE) for his services to public transport and charity.
George Marcar, Bus Driver Policy Implementation Manager at Transport for London (TfL), has been recognised with an Order of the British Empire (MBE) for his work over many years to improve accessibility in London.
David Wells, Chief Executive of business group Logistics UK, has been awarded an OBE for services to transport and logistics.
For more about the above recipients, click on the links above. To learn more about the honours see here
The full list of those in the innovation in technology in transport sector, along with their citation, is:
- Dr Douglas Edwin OAKERVEE FrEng CBE Chair, Independent Review of HS2.
Companion of the Order of the Bath – CB
- Gareth Neil DAVIES Director General, Aviation, Maritime, International and Security Group, Department for Transport.
Commander of the Order of the British Empire – CBE
- Professor Phillip Thomas BLYTHE FREng Chief Scientific Adviser, Department for Transport. For services to Science and Engineering in Transport and Government
- Benjamin RIMMINGTON Lately Co-Director, Road Safety Standards and Services, Department for Transport. For services to Transport during Covid-19
- Francis ROGERS Chief Executive, Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and Director General, Merseytravel. For services to Local Government Reform in the Liverpool City Region
- Laura Manning SHOAF Lately Managing Director, Transport for the West Midlands. For services to Economic Regeneration in the West Midlands
Officer of the Order of the British Empire – OBE
- Yvonne Dawn BAKER Chief Executive, STEM Learning. For services to STEM Education
- Richard Edward BALLANTYNE Chief Executive Officer, British Ports Association. For services to the Maritime Sector
- Christine Rutherford CHISHOLM Founder Trustee, New Jumbulance Travel Trust. For services to Philanthropy and Charitable Causes.
- Barclay John DAVIES For services to Public Transport and to the Government
- Sharon Louise DAVIES Vice President, Regulatory and Public Affairs, DHL Express Europe. For services to Logistics
- Mark James FOWLES Lately Managing Director, Nottingham Transport. For services to Public Transport and to Charity
- Simon Edward FRENCH Chief Inspector of the Rail Accident Investigation Branch. For services to Railway Safety
- Alison KILBANE-GRIFFITHS Corporate Customer Relationship Manager, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. For services to Transport
- Russell Warren MCCALLION Group Human Resource Director, PD Ports. For services to Business and to the community in the Tees Valley
- Keith David RICHARDS Chair, Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee. For services to Accessible Transport
- Thomas SPEDDING Transport Manager, Nuclear Transport Solutions. For services to the UK Nuclear and Transport Industries
- David WELLS Chief Executive Officer, Logistics UK. For services to Transport and Logistics during Covid-19
- Katrina Joan WILLIAMS Head, Office and Travel Solutions, Crown Commercial Service. For Public Service
Member of the Order of the British Empire – MBE
- Marie ADDISON Regional Community and Sustainability Manager, Northern Trains Ltd. For services to the community in Northumberland
- Alan Richard BENSON Chair, Transport for All. For services to Public Transport for People with Disabilities
- Barbara Anne COOPER Corporate Director Growth, Environment and Transport, Kent County Council. For services to Transport and to the Covid-19 Response
- William Delwyn EVANS Head, Enforcement Transformation, Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency. For services to Road Safety during Covid-19
- Barry Macdonald GRAHAM Senior Rail Adviser, Northern Trains. For services to the Rail Industry
- Ian GREEN Section Manager, Nissan Training, Global Training Centre and Nissan Skills Foundation. For services to Apprenticeships and to STEM skills
- George Lennox MARCAR Driver Policy Implementation Manager, Transport for London. For services to Transport in London
- Joanna Mary SALTER Pilot and Aviation Ambassador, Department for Transport. For services to Aviation
- Natalie Charlotte SHAW Director, Employment Affairs, International Chamber of Shipping. For services to Seafarers during the Covid-19 Pandemic
- Dr Lorraine Elisabeth WHITMARSH Professor of Environmental Psychology, University of Bath. For services to Social Research in Climate Change, Energy and Transport
Medallist of the Order of the British Empire – BEM [British Empire Medal]
- Cornel GRANT Bus Driver, Stagecoach. For services to the community in Greater Manchester
- Akthar HUSSAIN Systems Engineer, Network Rail. For services to Diversity and Inclusion
- Vincent Victor JAMES Employee, Network Rail. For services to Prisoners during Covid-19
- Milla MAZILU Volunteer, Royal Academy of Engineering and Network Rail Employee. For services to the Covid-19 Response
- Bronagh MCDONNELL Bus Driver and Driver Mentor. For services to Public Transport and to Community Engagement in Northern Ireland
- Jeremy James WALL Duty Operations Manager, Transport for London and Special Inspector, City of London Police. For services to Transport and Public Safety
- Jennifer Dale WIGGLE Lately Services Director, Living Streets. For services to Active Travel