The Catapult centres are a network of world-leading centres designed to transform the UK’s capability for innovation in specific areas and help drive future economic growth, funded by Innovate UK.
They are a series of physical centres where the very best of the UK’s businesses, scientists and engineers work side by side on late-stage research and development – transforming high potential ideas from concept to reality, such as new products and services to generate economic growth.
Hundreds of thousands of businesses in the UK are hungry for growth and capable of bringing brilliant new products and services to market.
However, only a few have all the resources, expertise, equipment or contacts they need to develop their ideas into new products and services.
The Catapult vision is to bridge the gap between these ambitious businesses and the expertise of the UK’s world-class research communities. www.catapult.org.uk
Catapults exist to:
- Reduce the risk of innovation
- Accelerate the pace of business development
- Create sustainable jobs and growth
- Develop the UK’s skills and knowledge base and its global competitiveness
Each Catapult focuses on an area in which the UK has genuine potential to generate growth in strategically important global markets.
Currently there are 9 Catapult Centres:
- Connected Places (covering transport)
- Cell and Gene Therapy
- Compound Semiconductor Applications
- Energy Systems (including decarbonising transport)
- High Value Manufacturing (a network of another seven centres)
- Medicines Discovery
- Offshore Renewable Energy
The Connected Places Catapult www.cp.catapult.org.uk was created in September 2019 by the merger of the Transport Systems Catapult and Future Cities Catapult. The new website is running, but content from the two previous separate websites has not yet been migrated.
- The former Transport Systems Catapult is currently working on six separate projects
- The former Future Cities Catapult projects (40-plus) are here
The Energy Systems Catapult www.es.catapult.org.uk was set up to accelerate the transformation of the UK’s energy system and ensure UK businesses and consumers capture the opportunities of clean growth. The Catapult is an independent, not-for-profit centre of excellence that bridges the gap between industry, government, academia and research. It takes a whole-systems view of the energy sector, helping it to identify and address innovation priorities and market barriers, in order to decarbonise the energy system at the lowest cost.
FIND OUT ABOUT OTHER FUNDING STREAMS ON OUR DEDICATED PAGE