VisitEngland recognises bus firm’s ‘Clean, Safe, Ready to Go’ measures as Prime Minister Boris Johnson signals immediate return to public transport
Bus operator Transdev’s positive campaign to get the North moving safely and help people to enjoy themselves this summer has won a ‘tourism tick’ confidence mark from national tourism agency VisitEngland.
The award recognises Transdev’s industry-leading ‘Clean, Safe, Ready to Go’ mission to provide the highest standard of cleanliness and safety on each of its buses serving communities and visitor attractions across Yorkshire and Lancashire.
The news comes after Prime Minister Boris Johnson declared an immediate return to the use of public transport, ahead of a further relaxation of restrictions next month, including the end of the Government’s “work from home” advice.
To qualify for VisitEngland’s ‘We’re Good To Go’ industry standard and confidence mark, Transdev demonstrated that all social distancing and cleanliness protocols are in place on every one of its buses.
The new award follows the success of Transdev’s own unique customer communications campaign, designed to dispel any concerns about using buses now that pandemic lockdown restrictions have eased. Its short video, following an everyday bus journey through the eyes of a customer, has been shared thousands of times across social media and is live on YouTube here: https://bit.ly/3gQqMri.
Transdev CEO Alex Hornby said: “We’re delighted that VisitEngland recognises the hard work by our amazing teams to show that travelling by bus is still as enjoyable and safe as ever. Coming on top of the Prime Minister’s vote of confidence in us, which means people can now travel by bus for any reason, this award gives further reassurance that it’s now time to return to the bus.
“Our buses serve many of the North’s most popular visitor attractions, including theme parks, coastal resorts and historic cities and towns. We’ve gradually increased our service levels to around 80 per cent of our full timetable, and we’re ready to add more as customers re-join us on the bus this summer – we can’t wait to welcome them back to normality on our buses.
“We’re now ready to play a leading role to get people back to work, back to the shops, back to leisure and back to education, while helping to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution in our towns and cities. It’s time to come home to the bus.”
VisitEngland Director Patricia Yates said: “With millions of jobs and local economies across the country reliant on tourism it is essential that businesses can get up and running as soon as the respective Government advice allows, to capture the peak British summer season.
“We want visitors to be able to enjoy their holidays and to support businesses to be confident they have the correct procedures in place. Our priority is to make sure tourism rebounds to again become one of the most successful sectors of the UK economy, and this ‘ring of confidence’ is a crucial step on the industry’s road to rebuilding.”
Transdev’s co-ordinated customer information campaign offers simple advice to protect customers and staff. Key points include:
* Clear and easy to follow guidance – look out for signs posted at bus stations and key bus stops as well as on every Transdev bus
* Planning a journey? – Bring a face covering to wear on the bus, in line with Government safety guidance. Use Transdev’s websites and ‘Transdev Go’ app to track your bus and check for available space on board before you travel
* As you board the bus – Step on board one at a time, maintaining social distancing as you go. Also, try to avoid using cash, pay by contactless or using the ‘Transdev Go’ mobile app. Protective screens are in place between you and your driver to keep everyone safe
* As you travel – We have increased seating capacity to around 50 per cent of normal, so everyone can spread out. Open windows can help to let fresh air flow through your bus as you go
* Leaving your bus – please remain seated until the bus stops. Clear markings on the floor show where it is safe to stay until the doors open and you are ready to leave. Look around to maintain a safe distance from other customers – and please make sure you take all your belongings with you as you go.
Full details of all Transdev bus services across Yorkshire and Lancashire, including travel advice and revised timetables currently in place, are available online at: https://www.transdevbus.co.uk and on the free to download Transdev Go mobile app. Each of its bus companies also has its own Twitter feed with constantly updated service information.